The recording physics team has developed both experimental and simulation capabilities on head media integration, new recording system configuration, and advanced testing technologies. We focus on the PMR extension towards 2 Tb/in2 areal density by the use of several technologies such as shingled magnetic recording, TDMR reader for ITI cancellation, advanced high jitter channel, and dedicated servo for high track density. The team is also working on the configuration of next generation recording systems, such as MAMR and HAMR.
Head media integration and advanced testing
- Recording performance characterization of head and media
- BER performance test and areal density demo
- Methodology development for head media electrical/mechanical performance test by RW signals.
New recording system design and integration
- Dedicated servo recording system
- PMR extension by shingled writing, TDMR reader for ITI cancellation, and maintaining BER at reduced SNR
Guzik Spinstand and BER test module
- GUZIK DTR 3004 and WDM 5044
- Piezo Actuator Cartridge supporting 720 KTPI
- BER test: Raw BER, SFR, LDPC (512 or 4K Bytes)
Hardware/software module development to implement self-developed new testing methodologies
- Modeling and simulation
- Writer field calculation by FEM
- Micromagnetic modeling of recording media and reader
Recent developed testing methodologies:
Writing process characterization on Guzik:
- Writer footprint measurement
- Writing induced media noise
- Write field gradient measurement
Using RW signals to test electrical/mechanical performance of head media by self-developed in-situ FH setup:
- Transition parameter “a” variation
- Writer pole tip protrusion (PTP)
- Disk waviness measurement
- FH modulation near touchdown
- Touchdown FH from arbitrary data pattern
- Simultaneous head 3D motion test near contact
The writer footprint and its variations measurement on Guzik Spinstand.
The in-situ FH module tests the real time FH signal. The FH modulation control becomes more important for further reduction of head media spacing.